Saturday, February 16, 2008

2008 NBA Dunk Contest Preview/Prediction

I'm not a huge fan of the NBA and I don't particularly care for NBA All-Star weekend. I do however, frequently tune in for the dunk contest. I think this year's contest could be a lot of fun and I just wanted to chime in real quick on my thoughts on the contest and find out who everyone else thinks will be this year's champ.

This year's contest features a great field of defending champ Gerald Green, Rudy Gay, Dwight Howard, and Jamario Moon. All four contestants have used the internet to reach out to fans for suggestions, ideas, extensive sneak peaks, and practice previews leading up to the contest.

When looking at the videos i think the most impressive has to be Jamario Moon's dunk from beyond the freethrow line in this practice run (although someone bumps the camera and you can only see his feet and his reflection!).



Rudy Gay started all this YouTube craze by reaching out to fans and asking them to send him suggestions and videos of them dunking that they would like to see him replicate.


Last year's defending champion Gerald Green even responded to Gay by offering a suggestion of his own.


We all know that Dwight Howard has some sick dunks up his sleeve. In my opinion he should be the defending champ. I don't think there anything more original and impressive than his sticker dunk last year. Is there any doubt Howard is taking this far more serious that the rest? I mean he asked David Stern if he could have the rims raised to 12-feet. Unfortunately his request was denied. I feel like this legitimately hurts Howard. At 6 feet 11 inches it's really hard for him to look good dunking on a 10 foot rim. Here's a vid.


One thing is for sure. I will be watching. Who you got? I like Rudy Gay, but if Moon actually pulls out that dunk from beyond the freethrow line I think he could run away with it.

No comments: