Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Fantasy Weekend Wrap - Week 2

OK, so I'm really busy with school and house hunting right now. But what else am I finding atleast a little bit of free time for? Fantasy Baseball. Here's some studs and duds as well as some insight behind my own personal management.


Weekend Studs

Bats
Casey Kotchman – 8/12, 1 R, 5 2B, 1 HR, 4 RBI
BJ Upton – 6/11, 3 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 5 RBI
Ryan Ludwick – 5/11, 3 R, 3 HR, 5 RBI
Carlos Pena - 3/9, 3 R, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 4 BB
Jeff Francoeur – 4/11, 3 R, 2 HR, 8 RBI

If any of these players are available in your leages (I would imagine not many would be but theres a chance) you should not hesitate to pick any of them up. They're all really hot right now and would be great additions to any team. I would say in a lot of leagues you would have the best chance of picking up Kotchman off of waivers or FA. I'm a little skeptical of his hitting ability however. I would say I see him batting around .250+ with no more than 25 HRs and 80 RBI this year but he's smokin' hot right now and I would take him if he's there. Also Ludwick should be available in most leagues if you need a quick pick-me-up.

Pitchers
Chien-Ming Wang – 9 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K (CG, W)
Roy Halladay – 9 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K (CG, W)
Tim Hudson – 8 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K (W)
Derek Lowe – 8 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K (W)
Javier Vasquez – 7 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 9 K (W)

Eric Gagne – 2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K. 2 Saves

All these guys pitched great this weekend. However, I wouldn't really expect them to be available in many leagues so we'll just leave it at that. As far as Gagne is concerned I am a huge Brewers fan and a giant Gagne skeptic. I still don't trust him but this weekend was definitely a good sign and I'd take a chance on Gagne right now if you can swing a favorable trade somehow.

Weekend Duds
Bats
Adam Jones - 0/8, 5 K
Jose Guillen – 0/12, 4 K
Troy Tulowitzki – 0/8, 3 K
Andruw Jones – 0/9, 4 K
David Murphy – 1/12, 3 K

While a cold spell like this hurts your team and is a cause for concern I wouldn't worry too much with a lot of these gusys. If it continues you may look to trade or to drop one of them but wait them out in this case. We'll see how they're doing after next weekend.

Arms
Kenny Rogers – 4 IP, 7 H, 7 ER, 4 BB, 1 K (L)
Joel Pineiro – 3.2 IP, 10 H, 6 ER, 0 BB, 0 K (L)
Chris Young – 3 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, 4 BB, 2 K (L)
Roy Oswalt – 4 IP, 9 H, 8 ER, 0 BB, 6 K (L)
Phil Hughes – 2 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 3 BB, 3 K (L)

Mike Timlin – 2 G, 0-1, 0.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 0 K

All of these guys were not good at all. With some of the guys, Rogers, Timlin, and maybe Piniero I would consider dropping if this trend continues for about another week or so. However, with the others I would give them almost as much time as they need. I mean, we all know waht Oswalt and Young can do. I'm shaky on Hughes. He's looked awful but we know his upside it huge and he has a great hitting lineup to score runs for him.

As far as my team (Prince's Minions) is concerned right now I'm doing pretty well. I'm currently sitting in second in my league (The cacfruit league). If there's any advice I can offer it is this.

Don't worry about Prince Fielder. He's historically started each season of his incredibly short career slowly (minors included) and hit for power very streakily last season. If you want my opinion I think we are all pending an explosion of power from Mr. Fielder in the near future.

Also I drafted Evan Longoria and held onto him for the first 2 weeks although he was in the minors. Now that he's up he's everything that I was expecting and if there's any chance at all you can pick him up or get him from someone for a reasonable cost I would do so (especially if you're in a keeper league). This kid is going to be a total stud.
Now, I don't want to give away too much of my managerial insight as I continue my quest for a 1st place finish in the Cacfruit League. However, I will be back to offer more next week.


That's about it for this week. I've got a big accounting exam to study for but I'll surely be back with even more for you fantasy readers next week.

2 comments:

stephen a said...

You're lucky Aybar got hurt otherwise you would have been holding onto Longoria until June. And if he doesn't have a hot two weeks, you still may be.

Ed The Sports Fan said...

Longoria's gonna be interesting, I got him in 2 leagues. We'll see...

-Ed.