Tuesday, November 27, 2007

R.I.P Sean Taylor (1983-2007)

Today was going to be a "Happy Youtube Tuesday", however given the circumstances I feel it only right that I pay tribute to Sean Taylor.

Pro Bowl safety Sean Taylor died Tuesday after he was shot in his home by an apparent intruder, leaving everybody, including myself in shock. The 24-year-old player died at Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he had been airlifted after the shooting early Monday. Taylor, the fifth overall pick in the 2004 NFL draft following an All-American season at the University of Miami, was shot early Monday in the upper leg, damaging the key femoral artery and causing significant blood loss.

I would first like to send out my deepest condolences to the Taylor family, the Washington Redskins, and the Miami Hurricanes. Most people know Sean as the flamboyant, hard-hitting, fine-gathering player he was in his first 3 or 4 years in the league. What many people don't realize is that he is also a father of a 1 year old baby girl named Jackie, and a maturing man and emerging leader on and off the field (and his teammates and coaches noticed).

"It's hard to expect a man to grow up overnight, but ever since he had his child, it was like a new Sean, and everybody around here knew it. He was always smiling, always happy, always talking about his child." -Clinton Portis-

I can't imagine what it would be like to be 24 and have to leave your 1 year old daughter and girlfriend behind. As for the Redskins, who must somehow absorb the raw emotions from this tragedy and prepare to play two games during a critical five-day stretch next week, the reality is that an already-struggling team quickly must find a way to compensate for the loss of a Pro Bowl-caliber defender. And while dealing with replacing Taylor in the lineup won't be quite the same as confronting the specter of having lost the fourth-year veteran as a friend, it is still an imperative that must be addressed.

I loved watching Sean as a player. I never get sick of seeing his hard hits and amazing interceptions. He was really emerging in his pass coverage game this year as he had nine pass deflections and an NFC-best five interceptions in nine games before suffering a sprained knee that kept him out of the last two games. I really feel like Taylor was taking the next step to being an elite player and I was very excited to watch him and LaRon Landry play along side each other. i felt like they could have become the most prolific SS & FS duos in the NFL.

I had other ideas for a post today but keeping with the theme I would like to offer up some of my favorite YouTube videos of Sean Taylor - the fearless hitter that will forever be missed.


Forgot to tell Taylor it was the Pro Bowl?




Sticks and Picks





Taylor at Da U





Obviously this does Sean and the situation no justice. However, it's the best I can do on this day of mourning for the NFL and football fans everywhere.

2 comments:

James Diggs said...

Thanks for the videos. My thoughts and prayers are with Sean Taylor's family and friends and the Redskins organization.

Peace,

James

Stefan Ming said...

I think Clinton Portis' comments makes it that much harder to bare...