Monday, November 19, 2007

TSF Heisman Watch

This has been anything but the standard Heisman Race. I'd like to weigh in quickly with what has become increasingly obvious to me over the last few weeks.


Coming into the week I really liked Dennis Dixon to win. I even watched this commercial profusely taking great entertainment from it:



With my top candidate Dennis Dixon out of contention, how many legitimate players are out there that can satisfy that general voter urge to choose a contender from a highly-ranked squad? Here's what I see:
I'm reluctant to say it but i see Time Tebow as the front-runner to win the Heisman right now...even with 3 losses! In the midst of a roller-coaster ride of a season I think voters are just starting to warm up to the idea of the underclassman winning it with 3 losses. Tebow is set to go down with Archie Griffin in Heisman lore. That's good for Tebow, good for the Heisman and good for college football. If he wins I don't think that automatically means that we'll start seeing underclassmen win it every year so i don't have a problem with it.

Look at the stats he is the first EVER 20/20 man in NCAA Football history and is on pace for over 3,000 passing yards and 850 rushing yards and a combined 50 touchdowns. Because of the sheer weight of his numbers, name recognition, team-profile, television exposure and personality, he is the overwhelming favorite for this year's Heisman right now.

In my opinion if anyone is going to beat him it will be Chase Daniel from Mizzou. Although he's an outside shot right now I feel like he is in the best position to make a run at the Heisman. Daniel is on pace for the following stats: 3,916 passing yards, 33 touchdown passes, 69 per cent completions, 10 interceptions, 300 rushing yards, 5 touchdowns. Here's what I see as necessary for him to win it:
1. Daniel has a big game and Missouri beats Kansas.
2. Daniel has a big game and Missouri beats Oklahoma.
3. Missouri wins berth in BCS title game.
4. Tebow flops as Florida loses to FSU would cement it.

If I had to pick a third candidate I would pick Darren McFadden.
Overall this is what I see:
1. Tim Tebow
2. Chase Daniel
3. Darren McFadden

What's your Heisman race look like right now?

No comments: