Wednesday, March 5, 2008

One Last Letter to Brett

It's not like I've never been called a homer before, so here's one last homer post for Brett.

Dear Brett,
I want to thank you. Throughout my entire football life you've been the starting QB of my favorite team since I can remember (it all started when I was only 4). Growing up my Dad and I rarely missed a Packers' game and my love for the Packers essential stems from my love of watching you play the game. You were so fun to watch and you played the game like it should be played, like a little kid who's having fun. You've always been my favorite player growing up, having to defend my fandom to all the Vikings fans at school. But it didn't bother me, because I knew that they'd never win a Super Bowl anyways. You've always been my favorite player and you always will be.

I admire you and view you as a great role model. You've been through so much and overcome so much both on the field and off. Whether it's starting your career as a 7th string QB, leading USM to a come-from-behind victory in your first game on a hangover, coming back only 6 weeks after a near fatal car accident and major surgery that removed 30 inches of your intestines when doctors told you that you may never play again, overcoming an addiction to pain killers afterwards, playing an awe-inspiring game just a day after the passing of your father, playing an entire season with a broken thumb on your throwing hand, and standing by Dianna through her bout with breast cancer. I don't care what anybody says I think you're a role model in every sense of the word.

I could go on and on about the on field records but I know them all and so does most everybody else. There is no doubt in my mind that you a first ballot hall-of-famer and the 2nd best QB to ever play the game (behind only Montana). You gave me a reason to love the game and you brought my father and I together on Sundays. I'll never forget the years we spent screaming our lungs out for each TD and INT, always hanging in the balance on your every move.

It was ultimately your decision Brett and I respect it. Last year was an amazing run and I'm proud of you for coming back. It would have been a lot easier to hang it up 4-12. I realize that it had to end sometime, but it's going to be really weird to see anybody else start a game at QB for the Pack. I've been a fan my entire life (since I can remember) and I can't ever remember seeing anybody other than you start a game for my beloved Packers. Regardless what number lines up behind center next September, I will be wearing my #4 jersey. And while I somehow doubt that this is definitely the end of the line, I have to treat it like it is, just in case. I'll never forget "The Gunslinger".

Thank You,
Joe Laszewski

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its going to be weird not seeing him on the field ever again. Great post Joe.

Jose Antonio said...

Good evening,

Interested in an exchange link with their site, my site currently has a PR. 3 with a view to obtaining PR.4 in the next update.

If you are interested contact through e-mail.

My URL: http://prediccionesdeportivas.blogspot.com/

Greetings.