Friday, June 8, 2007

My World In Sports: Calling You Out

Thoughts and opinions on sports which are currently headlining my brain:

Taking a Shot at Complete Sports
OK, keeping in mind that TSF has a quite personal relationship with twins15 or Complete Sports I would like to call him out. Sure we play on the same softball team, have the same Alma mater, will attend the same University, and are both generally good guys....but I'm callin' him out. Earlier in the week he predicted that the Flubs would finish atop the NL Central, meaning atop the Milwaukee Brewers. Bold indeed but let's make him put his money where his mouth is. I would like to meet with you Jon and discuss a friendly wager on the matter. I'm callin' you and your Scrubs out!


NBA Finals Game 1
The Spurs are probably the greatest defensive professional basketball team of my era. Also, make no mistake...game 2 is everything. If the Cavs lose game two I give them a 0% chance at winning the series. However, if they can manage to pull one off then we definitely have ourselves a series. Also, today I heard a startling statistic in regards to the Spurs. I believe it said that in the last 10 years the Spurs have won games at about a 70% rate: best in ALL OF SPORTS. Damn you Ming....Game 2: Tune in and root for the savior of the NBA Playoffs to take down the Spurs and their big 3 (pictured right).

MLB Draft
I missed most of it at work but did quite a bit of reading. I think the D-Rays taking hard-throwing left-hander David Price of Vanderbilt wasn't a shocker to anybody. However the rest of the draft was pretty unpredictable. I was especially shocked with the Brewers picking Matt LaPorta (1B/OF) - FL. He's a power hitting 1B who .402 in 2007 with 20 home runs and 52 RBIs. So, you obviously can't refute this kids talent but why did they take him while there were still a lot of really good pitching prospects out there. It doesn't make any sense to me. The only thing I can think of is: (1)they were drafting for the best available overall talent, (2)they are afraid of losing Prince when his contract is up, (3)they think they can convert him to full-time OF, or (4)they want to trade him for some immediate help. He's a monster but why pick him here? Beats me..what do you think?

Vick is Screwed
This thing just gets uglier and uglier each day. The Feds are now getting involved so I guess that means that they mean business. I never really liked Vick in the first place (think 2nd round playoff game at Lambeau) but I really hope he goes down for this and I think he is screwed. Whether this goes all the way through and he goes to court and whatnot whatever he still had left of his image is completely gone. I predict that in the next 3-4 weeks you can expect Nike to speak out on and probably drop Vick as a sponsor. He's already lost a few minor sponsors and I don't think that this is a PR hit that NIKE is willing to take. I wouldn't be....who wants to buy dog-killer shoes? Also Roger Goodell is a hardass so I think Vick will end up with some kind of suspension regardless of what happens to this


NFL QBs
Who I Would Want to Be: Tom Brady
Very attractive girlfriend (Gisele Bundchen), baby on the way (with ex-girlfriend Bridget Moynahan) and a gem in WR Randy Moss. I think that they will get along well because Moss is ready to realize that he is getting old and needs to win a Superbowl. I predict Moss will have the 2nd best season of his career next year.

Who I would Not Want to Be: Dante Culpepper
He apparently has lost all common sense because he is asking to be cut lose by the Dolphins when in reality he's lucky to be on an NFL roster! Who the hell do you think is gunna pick you up!? Maybe if Vick goes down for his dogfighting business sooner than later he could get some PT down in ATL or I can see him maybe in JAX or BAL. My advice would be: be glad you have a jersey on a NFL team and that you atleast have 1 knee.



What do you think about what I think and is there anything that you would have liked me to talk about? Please share....

8 comments:

Stefan Ming said...

I think Vick shouldn't even comment when the media tries to ask him questions because there just isn't enough evidence for him to be charged of anything.

Anonymous said...

Apparently the Feds searched his property yesterday. Here's a link to an article about it, http://www.thenewsroom.com/details/383526

Stefan Ming said...

I need to respond again... Both of you are wrong, the Cards are going to win the NL Central

twins15 said...

I'm going to enjoy my $5.

grittysquirrels said...

I have 5 with twins15 and now I have another $5 with Ming (him taking STL).

Also reading today the Brewers drafted LaPorta with the intent to make him a LF. If they can convert him fully I love the pick b/c this kid can do it all at the plate. He has played some outfield they just need to get him a lot of reps out there I think. Maybe I like this pick after all...

Kevin Hayward said...

Personally, I think Culpepper should just quit football altogether and go into dog-fighting full-time with Michael Vick.

They taught us in elementary school that character counts, but that seems to be more the case in the sports world every day.

Anonymous said...

The Cards? They are going to lose more games than the Cubs!

The best defensive team of my era is the Bulls of 91-93. Jordan, Pippen and Grant were sick.

Stefan Ming said...

The best defensive team in the last 20 years or so was def. the Pistons of the late and early 90's.