Friday, March 23, 2007

Tubby goin' for the Gold-

-den Gophers that is. Thursday the University of Minnesota announced that Tubby Smith will be their men's basketball coach next season. This is huge. Tubby, apparently sick of the pressure and baggage that comes with being the headcoach at Kentucky, opted out with 4 years remaining on his contract.

Tubby immediately catapults himself to arguably THE highest profile coach in all of Minnesota. If I am even a casual fan of Minnesota Basketball upon hearing this I would immediately call the U. and get myself some season tickets (about second row at the free-throw line).

This is huge for a program that fired both its head basketball coach, AND head football coach in the same year. A program that was in apparent free-fall 2 days ago now suddenly has immense hope. This is truly about as good as U. of Minn. could have done on this one. I think his impact can be nearly immediate. Look for the Gophers to be a better squad next year and in a few years you may start to see some quality prospects considering or even attending the U. of M. With Tubby on their bench I think you can look for the Gophers to make it back to the tourney in the next 2 years.

** Side Note**
Gus Johnson is not only a great Bball announcer but he also makes boxing awesome!... Honestly I think this man could get me to watch paint dry, or grass grow, or other really usually unappealing things...
ALSO....
Papelbon is back in the 'pen just as I had predicted....
I really hate to say it but I told you so.....

3 comments:

twins15 said...

Love the hiring of Tubby for the Gophers. I wrote this on my blog yesterday, but I'll just copy and paste.

1) 14 out of the past 16 Tournaments is pretty good.
2) He can win with his own players... from 2003-2005, Kentucky lost 12 regular season games.
3) He hasn't lost his touch recruiting. People forget, in 2004 Joe Crawford, Randolph Morris, and Rajon Rondo were all top 25 recruits. Things haven't worked out as well as hoped there, but he's getting good players.
4) Getting back to the Tournament within 2 years in Minnesota will be considered a success with what they have in the program right now... I think Tubby is certainly capable of that.

grittysquirrels said...

Agree completely. If i'm a gophers fan I'm overjoyed. This was definately as good as they possibly could have done with the hiring.

SAMO said...

Amazing find! I did not know that Johnson did boxing. He should probably let the color guy speak a little bit though hahahahah.