Monday, July 7, 2008

C.C. Sabathia Headed to Beertown!

I am utterly exhausted after a weekend of the lake, a day of travel and moving, and co-ed softball. But when your favorite team draws first blood in the MLB free-agency period it gets you excited!

For anyone who hasn't heard yet C.C. Sabathia is heading to Milwaukee in return for star prospect Matthew LaPorta (20 HR and 66 RBIs in AA) and 3 other prospects. Two of these prospects have been "confirmed" as P Zach Jackson and P Rob Bryson. The third is to be named later.

Obviously I am completely stoked about this deal! I absolutely love that my favorite "smaller market" wins the battle for C.C. Sabathia. Granted, they're giving up a great young power-hitting outfielder but I think it's a good move. The Brewers have a pretty good group of young outfield talent with Ryan Braun, Corey Hart, and Tony Gwynn Jr so I think this is a risk worth taking. it's also a granted that the Brewers are most likely using C.C as a "rentaplayer" as I really doubt they will be resigning him for the ridiculous money he will want at the end of the season. But fans, players, and management know that. This deal is about this season. The Brewers are in good position right now to make a run at not only the wildcard but also the NL Central.

I think the bottom line here is that the Brewers now have arguably the best 1-2 punch in the NL (possibly all the Majors) with Ben Sheets and C.C. Sabathia. If they can both stay healthy the Brewers will make the playoffs.

I have no doubts about the team's offense and now their starting rotation looks dominant. My only question mark for the team is their bullpen, which still bothers me a bit. However, for now I am saying the Brewers will be going to the playoffs for the first time in 26 years and I couldn't be more excited!

No comments: