Friday, July 18, 2008

Please Sign Barry Bonds

Has anyone noticed anything missing this summer? I am sure most of us have. Whether people want to admit it or not, most of us do miss watching Barry Bonds play the game of baseball.

Most people may not want to admit it, but we miss watching the high-flying HRs and the emotion and energy that Bonds gave nearly every fan when he stepped up to the plate.

If everybody hated Bonds as much as they say, then why did they care so much about him? Why was so much attention drawn to him last summer when he chased the career HR record? Why did he sell-out stadiums? Why did everybody still talk about him? And why did everybody stop what they're doing just to watch him when he was at bat?

Fans, admit it. If you watched the highlights and games, barely anybody was buying a hot dog or going to the bathroom when Mr. Bonds was up to bat. When he hit a HR even the most horrified Bonds haters didn't seem to mind standing up and clapping, but only to rephrase back to booing once he crossed the plate.

What is it? What does Bonds have that others don't? How can so many people hate this man so much and still care so much to watch him play the game?

As you can see, I am a Barry Bonds fan. I've been a fan of his and the San Francisco Giants nearly all of my life. While I wouldn't want to see him back in a Giants uniform, I would love to see him in just about any other uniform.


I admit it, I want to see him play this summer. I want to see one of the greatest baseball players walk the field one last time. I want to see booming HRs again. I want to see one of the best hitters of all time and someone who knows the zone better than anyone that has played the game.

But the truth is, nearly every fan of the game wants to see Bonds play again. We may not want to admit it and even if he does return, we all know there would be nonstop booing. We all know we would all still drop our hot dogs and beer or turn the channel just to watch him one last time.

No comments: